Union of Myanmar
Ngapali Beach is located on the west coast of Myanmar, close to
the town of Thandwe and for long has been a favorite beach destination
for Myanmar citizens as well as Yangon expatriates. The beach stretches
along the kidney-shaped bay and is lined with thousands of palm
trees. A few fishing villages are hidden from sight by the trees,
and Pearl Island is the only thing to be seen on the horizon. Undeveloped
and unspoiled, Ngapali Beach is truly one of the most gorgeous beaches
in South-East Asia.
Flights to and from Ngapali Beach
There are daily flights from Yangon to Ngapali Beach (Thandwe).
On certain days flights operate from Heho to Thandwe and from Bagan
to Thandwe. Please contact us for further information. Flights operate
only from October to April since this area of Rakhine State has
a very heavy monsoon season. Hotels are also closed during this
There are two international style resorts on Ngapali
Sandoway Beach Resort
A charming resort in Myanmar style & architecture
- 2-storey cottages and bungalows, set in a large
garden. Some of the bungalows face the sea
- 5 sea beach front room, 9 village cottages and
11 deluxe rooms.
- All rooms have bathroom (shower only) on the
ground floor, private terrace, icebox and ceiling fans
- One seafood restaurant and lounge bar
- The hotel has a generator in-case power supply
- Tel : (95 1) 294 669 - Fax : (95 1) 201 115
Bayview Beach Resort
New comfortable hotel in modern style, with great location directly
on the beach
- Located directly on Ngapali Beach.
- 33 guestrooms
- All rooms have en-suite bathroom, a private
terrace, air-conditioning, mini-bar, and personal safe, satellite
TV and in-house movies. The hotel has a generator in-case power
- One restaurant, pool bar and sunset bar, swimming
- Tel : (95 1) 514 471 - Fax : (95 1) 526 292
* Both hotels handle strict booking conditions
and require deposits in order to confirm rooms. Please ask us for
* Ngapali Beach is still to be considered a remote area. There are
no medical facilities; access to this area is limited to irregular
flights or an 18-hour overland drive from Yangon. There is no other
entertainment in the area apart from what is offered at the hotel.
* Travellers are strongly advised to bring mosquito repellent and
some warm clothing, since evenings can be cold.
NGWE SAUNG BEACH (SILVER BEACH)
Ngwe Saung is a newly developed beach, located west of Pathein,
south of Chaungtha Beach. Currently there are 19 hotels under construction
of which 4 will be of international standard. Ngwe Saung Beach is
15 kilometers long white sand, lined with palmtrees. Entertainment
is limited to what is offered by the hotels.
For the time being, the only hotel of good standard
The Palm Beach Resort
A new resort fitted out in local timber in traditional Myanmar style.
Beautifully set in a coconut grove
- Set in a tropical garden. Some bungalows face
- 31 rooms (25 executive rooms, 6 deluxe rooms
in bungalow style)
- All rooms have en-suite bathroom, air-conditioning,
mini-bar, satellite TV
- The hotel has 24 hour power supply
- One restaurant, pool bar and roof-top bar, swimming
- The hotel will be opened all year round.
- Tennis court to be added in the future
- Tel : (95-1) 581111-04 Ext : 233-235
Travelling from Yangon to Ngwe Saung Beach
Ngwe Saung Beach can only be reached by road or river from Yangon,
there are no flights to Ngwe Saung. Due to the bad road condition,
a transfer from Yangon to the beach takes a full day over bumpy
roads with little to see on the way. Note that overland transfers
Although some guide books on Myanmar recommend Chaungtha as a worthwhile
holiday destination, we believe that this is beach is purely for
domestic tourists. Although lively and animated, we do not believe
that hotel accommodation is close to any international or acceptable
standard. The beach itself is wide and pleasant, however the water
is not clear and does not invite for a swim. Considering the above,
Insight Myanmar does not organize tours to this beach.
* The overland drive from Yangon to Ngwe Saung
(or Chaungtha) has to be considered as an overland tour and not
* The access is long and tiring and not suitable for people with
back problems due to the poor road conditions.
* Driving time is: Yangon - Ngwe Saung 7 hours drive / Yangon -
Chaungtha 6 hours drive
* Note that transfers are costly due to the
remote location of both beach resorts.